PETER HOWARD, M.D.
Fellowship Trained Shoulder Surgeon and Sports Medicine Expert
Dr. Peter Howard is an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in shoulder surgery, sports medicine, and arthroscopy. Dr. Howard’s expertise includes rotator cuff repairs, cartilage transplants, meniscus injuries, ACL injuries, shoulder dislocations, hip impingement, fractures, joint replacement, and arthritis care. Dr. Howard’s areas of interest include the shoulder, elbow, hip, knee, and biologic therapies. Dr. Howard focuses on helping athletes and weekend warriors get back to full activity.
- Dr. Howard’s treatment philosophy is to try to exhaust all non-surgical options before considering surgery.
- He works with his patients to educate and explain their condition so that they can fully understand their treatment options.
- If surgery is a choice made by the patient, he believes in being with the patient through their full course of surgery and recovery.
- He believes working closely with physical and occupational therapists that care for his patients.
- Dr. Howard stays up to date on the newest treatment options so that he can provide the latest treatments to his patients.
Education, Training, and Experience
Originally from Petoskey, Michigan, Dr. Howard has undergone extensive training in shoulder surgery, sports medicine, minimally invasive arthroscopy, and orthopedics at several prestigious universities and medical centers. Dr. Howard obtained his undergraduate degree with Honors from Michigan State University in East Lansing, Michigan. After his undergraduate education, Dr. Howard completed his medical degree at Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan in 2008. He then trained in orthopedics at the Western Michigan University Homer Stryker School of Medicine. During his final year, he served as chief resident at Bronson Methodist Hospital and Borgess Medical Center. Seeking additional sub-specialization, he trained in shoulder surgery, sports medicine, and minimally invasive arthroscopy at the Houston Methodist Hospital. During his time there he worked with and cared for the Houston Astros, Texans, Dynamo, Rockets, the Rice University Owls, and many high school teams. Currently Dr. Howard is a team physician for the Toronto Blue Jays, Dunedin Blue Jays, and River Ridge High School.
In his time off Dr. Howard enjoys fishing, boating, going to the beach, biking, and spending time with his wife and daughters.
American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine
Arthroscopy Association of North America
Professional Team Affiliations
Current team affiliations
- MLB Toronto Blue Jays
- MiLB Dunedin Blue Jays
Former Associate Team Physician:
- MLB 2017 World Series Champions Houston Astros
- NFL Houston Texans
- MLS Houston Dynamo
- NBA Houston Rockets
- NCAA Rice University Athletics
- NASA Astronaut Corps
Eric Gallagher, Peter Howard, and Todd Ruiter. Distal Radius Fracture in a Surgeon’s Dominant Wrist. Eplasty. 2016;16:ic35.
James R. Jastifer, SaifAlrafeek, Peter Howard, Peter A. Gustafson, and Michael J. Coughlin Biomechanical Evaluation of Strength and Stiffness of Subtalar Joint Arthrodesis Screw Constructs, Foot Ankle Int 1071100715619680, 12/2/2015 doi:10.1177/1071100715619680